The University Records Center [URC] serves as a centralized, low-cost repository for the storage of inactive and semi-current University records, which must be retained out of legal, fiscal, and administrative necessity. Located at the Hawkins Building on Jamesville Road, the URC offers a secure and environmentally-controlled facility for records that have not yet reached the end of their retention periods. In addition to storage, the URC provides retrieval services enabling faculty and administrative staff to access their designated records in order to meet the ongoing business functions of the University. The URC encourages any University schools, colleges, departments, and offices to utilize its safe, convenient, and cost-effective records management services.
- Consult the University Retention Schedule to identify the retention period for records being deposited. Contact RM@syr.edu with any questions.
- Complete the Records Deposit and Inventory Form. We have also provided a Records Deposit Inventory Template for your use.
- University Records Management approves deposit and contacts department.
- Contact Facilities Services to arrange delivery of boxes to Hawkins Bldg., Rm. 140.
- Use standard records center boxes measuring 15” x 12” x 10”. W.B. Mason – Item #FEL00703.
- Pack records according to record series and date.
- Pack boxes from front to back according to their designated arrangement (e.g. A – Z, 1 – 20)
- Leave 1.5 inches of space in each box for any future retrievals and/or interfiles.
- Label short side of each record center box with the following: department name; accession number; box contents (e.g. record series, folder range, and date); and box number (e.g. 1 of 4).
- Deposit records that have exceeded their retention period. Destroy in office, or contact Materials Distribution for information regarding shredding services.
- Fill a box with multiple record series.
- Fill a box with a wide range of dates.
- Pack “hanging” folders in boxes.
- Over pack the box.
*Please contact URM with any questions at email@example.com or at x8388.*
- Complete the Records Request Form.
- University Records Management staff will retrieve records. Please allow 24-48 hours for the retrieval process.
- File requests and single box requests will be hand-delivered by Library Delivery.
- Box requests exceeding two boxes must be retrieved by a staff member of the requesting department. Or, the department can contact Facilities Services to transport the records at a cost to the requesting department.
- Contact University Records Management at RM@syr.edu when ready to return the records to the University Records Center.
Departments also have the option of examining their records in-person at the University Records Center. Please contact University Records Management ahead of time so that arrangements can be made to retrieve requested records and have them ready for review.
- URM conducts a biannual review of its records stored in the URC to identify records that have met their eligible destruction date.
- URM will prepare an Authorization to Destroy Records form, which lists the boxes ready for destruction. The form will be sent to the appropriate department records coordinator, who will obtain the necessary signed approval from a dean, director, or department head. NOTE: URM will NOT destroy records without signed approval from corresponding departments.
- Please review the eligible boxes to ensure that no unresolved audit questions, investigations, litigation, or other reasons for holding up the destruction exist.
- Mark the check boxes next to the boxes your department has approved for destruction.
- Email the signed form to URM by the due date.
- Email the signed form, with accompanying standing ID, to URM.
- URM will absorb the destruction costs for all boxes stored in the URC that are currently eligible for destruction.