This collection was created to showcase photographs of the Carnegie Library building from 1905-2007. The images show students, architectural features, and interior and exterior views. All historical images are from Syracuse University Archives. Future additions will include original floor plans.
In March 1905, Andrew Carnegie's secretary informed Chancellor James Roscoe Day that Mr. Carnegie was willing to donate $150,000 for the erection of a university library, provided the university raised an equal sum as an endowment for upkeep of the library. The university raised the required endowment in just over a month, with the largest share contributed by John D. Archbold. The transfer of the Leopold von Ranke collection, which the University had purchased in 1887, was completed in September 1907 and the library opened on September 11, 1907. The first librarian at the new facility was Mary O'Brien Sibley.
As was common in the early 1900's, the Carnegie Library was built with closed stacks and library pages retrieved books. In 1965 the stacks became open to browsing. In November 1972, E.S. Bird Library opened, becoming the main library of the university and housing the collections from the branch libraries in the social sciences, art and humanities. Renovations to the Carnegie Library performed in 1972-73 were made to accommodate the Mathematics Department and the science library, which was renamed the Engineering and Life Sciences Library. The library contained the general science collection, as well as biology, nursing, nutrition, engineering and computer science. The chemistry collection was added in 1982 and the science library was renamed that year to the Science and Technology Library. The physics collection was added to the science library in 2008.
- University Library: Andrew Carnegie Gave $150,000 for It [PDF] (Syracuse Herald)
- Carnegie Library Exceeds Expectations part 1 [PDF] (Syracuse Daily Orange)
- Carnegie Library Exceeds Expectations part 2 [PDF] (Syracuse Daily Orange)
- Books Moved to New Library [PDF] (Syracuse Daily Orange)
- Syracuse University Library acquires the Leopold von Ranke Collection.
- Rev. Dr. James D. Phelps secures a donation of $150,000 from Andrew Carnegie for a new university library and construction begins.
James Roscoe Day is Chancellor; 2500 students attend Syracuse University.
The Carnegie Library construction is completed. It had been scheduled to be completed in 1906, but due to other construction projects, was not completed until 1907.
The Leopold von Ranke collection moves to the Carnegie Library, marking the opening with a collection of over 71,000 volumes. Mary O'Brien Sibley is the University Librarian.
- The Statue of Diana the Huntress, created by Anna Hyatt Huntington, is donated to the University and placed in the vestibule of the Carnegie Library.
- The book racks and old lamps were removed from the tables in the Reading Room. New lamps were installed.
The Library book stacks become "open" to students and faculty. Previously they were "closed stacks" and library pages were used to retrieve books by request.
E.S. Bird Library opens in November 1972, consolidating branch libraries in the social sciences and art & humanities. Renovation begins on the Carnegie Library to house the Engineering & Life Sciences Library, Mathematics Library and Mathematics Department.
The Engineering and Life Sciences Library is established in the renovated Carnegie Library, housing engineering, health, nutrition and the life sciences.
The Mathematics Library moves into the Carnegie Library from Smith Hall as a separate branch library on the third floor.
The Chemistry Library moves into the Carnegie Library and the science library is renamed Science and Technology Library.
- 2007 - Carnegie Library Centennial