Collection inventory

Special Collections home page

St. Matthew's Church History

A description of the item at Syracuse University

Finding aid created by: LMD
Date: 26 Apr 2010

Biographical History

Henry Gregory (1803-1866) was an episcopal priest in Western New York during the nineteenth century. He was pastor of St. Matthew's Church in the early 1830s.

Scope and Contents of the Collection

The St. Matthew's Church History is a 9-page copy of a manuscript entitled "Historical Sketches of Early Moravia and St. Matthew's Church." It was written in 1836 by Henry Gregory and documents the early settlement of Moravia, New York and the religious development of the region, covering 1772 to 1830.

Arrangement of the Collection

Single item.


Access Restrictions:

The majority of our archival and manuscript collections are housed offsite and require advanced notice for retrieval. Researchers are encouraged to contact us in advance concerning the collection material they wish to access for their research.

Use Restrictions:

Written permission must be obtained from SCRC and all relevant rights holders before publishing quotations, excerpts or images from any materials in this collection.

Subject Headings


Gregory, Henry, 1803-1866.

Corporate Bodies

St. Matthew's Church (Moravia, N.Y.).


Episcopalians -- New York (State) -- Moravia.


Moravia (N.Y.) -- History.

Genres and Forms




Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Preferred citation for this material is as follows:

St. Matthew's Church History,
Special Collections Research Center,
Syracuse University Libraries

Table of Contents