|Creator:||Congregational Church (Bridgewater, N.Y.)|
|Title:||Congregational Church (Bridgewater, N.Y.) Records|
|Quantity:||1 microfilm reel, 35mm|
|Abstract:||Church records including minutes of church as corporate body, records of admissions, dismissals, and membership roll with vital records, trustees minutes and member list (1798-1937).|
|Repository:||Special Collections Research Center,
Syracuse University Libraries
222 Waverly Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13244-2010
At a meeting in Bridgewater, New York, on March 9, 1798, called by the Reverend Eliphalet Steele, thirteen persons signed the covenant establishing the Bridgewater Congregational Church. They were: Isaac Kellogg, Thomas Converse, Peter Blackman, David Converse, Eben Judson, Jacob Willson, Elias Hopkins, Mary Blackman, Rachel Converse, Martha Kellogg, Molly Willson, Sabrina Converse, and Abigail Hopkins. The church's first minister, installed in September 1802, was Reverend James Southworth.
In 1818, the church asked for permission from the Oneida County Association (Congregational) to separate from them and unite with the Oneida Presbytery "as a Congregational Church." During the tenure of the Reverend Alpha Miller, the church's second minister, a sabbath school and a church library were established, as well as the United Benevolent Society whose purpose was to aid "in various ways the diffusion of Christianity." Plans for a new meetinghouse were discussed and implemented in the early 1830s, and the building was completed in 1834. In January and February of 1835, however, 70 members separated to form a church in nearby Cassville; at this time the Bridgewater church left the Presbytery and rejoined the Oneida Association.
During 1839 and into 1840 the trial of John Southworth, son of the church's first minister, on several charges brought the church to the brink of another serious split. The trial went on for so long that parishioners, tired of attendance at its sessions, were admonished that they would be subject to public censure if the absented themselves from the proceedings. The charges against Southworth were ultimately sustained.
By the end of the 1860s the church was admitting Baptists, Methodists, Episcopalians, and representatives of other denominations as members, becoming more a community and less a denominational church. In 1874 it sent a delegate to the New York State Association of the Tabernacle Church, though it was careful to retain its Congregational affiliation. A Young People's Society of Christian Endeavor was organized in July 1883, as the result of the efforst of Reverend Jonathan S. Upton. Despite this activity, between 1880 and 1884, the church was forced to request assistance from the Home Missionary Society to meet its financial obligations.
Following is a list of recorded ministers and their dates of service:
|Sep 1802 - May 1818||James Southworth|
|Oct 1819 - Jun 1828||Alpha Miller|
|Mar 1831 - Jan 1832||H. H. Kellogg|
|Aug 1832 - Sep? 1833||R. Montgomery Davis|
|Oct 1835 - Aug 1837||Edward Allen|
|Jan 1838 - Sep 1839||Seth P. M. Hastings|
|Oct? 1840 - Jun 1841||Samuel Wells|
|Jun 1841 - May 1843||Charles Machin|
|Jan 1844 - May 1846||Edward Allensecond tenure|
|Feb 1847 - Oct 1848||S. W. Brace|
|Feb 1849 - Mar 1852||Henry Boynton|
|Jun 1852 - Nov 1852||Dr. Gamage|
|Jun 1853?||John W. Whitfield|
|Jul 1855 - Feb 1856||Moses Thatcher|
|Oct 1857 - Nov 1858||William B. Tompkins|
|May 1864 - Apr 1866||C. H. Beebe|
|May 1870 - May? 1872||F. Bradnack|
|May 1872 - Mar 1880||L. W. Church|
|May 1880 - Aug 1885||Jonathan S. Upton|
|Dec 1885 - ??||John Marsland|
|Sep 1888 - Oct 1890||Charles W. Drake|
|Dec 1890 - Jan 1894||Samuel Manning|
|Jul 1895 - Jul 1899||Nathan S. Aller|
|Jan 1900 - Jul 1901||Charles A. Frasure|
|Aug 1901 - Jun 1903||Aurelian A. Post|
|Jun 1903 - Oct 1910||Nathan S. Allersecond tenure|
|Dec 1910 - Oct 1918||Edward C. Wiley|
|May 1919 - Aug 1920||J. P. Garcia|
|Nov 1920 - Sep 1921||W. A. Griffith|
|Apr 1922 - Nov 1927||Cecil H. Plummer|
|Jan 1928 - Mar 1929||T. W. Bond|
|May 1929 - ? 1930||S. W. Cummings|
|Mar 1931 - Aug 1935||Howard D. Pender|
|Nov 1935 - Jul 1937||Howard E. Mather, D.D.|
|Jul 1937 -||Carl H. Yettru|
The Congregational Church (Bridgewater, N.Y.) Records consist of church records, trustees' records, records of the Womens' Missionary Society, and records of the Bridgewater Branch, Utica Chapter, American Red Cross. The collection consists entirely of microfilm copies of seven volumes and one folder of miscellaneous material. The microfilming was done in January of 1969 from originals owned by the Bridgewater Congregational Church and lent through the courtesy of the Reverend Walter Hillis.
Church records extend from its founding in 1798 to 1937, and include minutes of the church acting as a corporate body, admissions, dismissals, and a list of members with their vital records.
Trustees' records, 1799-1940, record their deliberations and actions on matters of church business, including subscriptions for building the meetinghouse and for pews. A list of members of the Board of Trustees is also included.
Exactly when the Women's Missionary Society was organized is not apparent from available records. Those in the collection date from 1910 to 1924 and set down the organization's deliberations, projects, and membership during that period. The presence in the collection of the records of the Bridgewater Branch, Utica Chapter, American Red Cross, 1917-1919, suggests that this activity was based at the church.
A small amount of Miscellaneous material completes the collection.
Material is in alphabetical order by volume title. Foldered material is in alphabetical order by topic or title.
The majority of our archival and manuscript collections are housed offsite and require advanced notice for retrieval. Researchers are encouraged to contact us in advance concerning the collection material they wish to access for their research.
Written permission must be obtained from SCRC and all relevant rights holders before publishing quotations, excerpts or images from any materials in this collection.
Preferred citation for this material is as follows:
Congregational Church (Bridgewater, N.Y.) Records
Special Collections Research Center,
Syracuse University Libraries
Created by: GBS
Date: Dec 1968
Revision history: 19 Mar 2008 - converted to EAD (MRC)
|Volume 1||Record Book 1798-1853|
|Church covenant, 1798
Records of admission, dismissal, and vital records, 1798-1853
|Volume 2||Record Book 1798-1844|
|Church minutes, 1819-1844
Records of admission, dismissal, and vital records, 1798-1844
Financial records, 1844
|Volume 3||Record Book 1802-1937|
|Church minutes, Jan 1840-Apr 1937
Roll of church members, 1802-1885
Confession of faith
|Volume 4||Minute Book 1799-1833|
|Covenant and subscribers, 1799-1833
Minutes of trustees, Feb 1800-Nov 1819
|Volume 5||Minute Book 1820-1940|
|Minutes of trustees, Oct 1820-Dec 1940
List of trustees
|Women's Missionary Society records|
|Volume 6||Record Book 1910-1924|
|Minutes, Oct 1910-Dec 1924
Attendance rolls, 1910-1924
|Bridgewater Branch, Utica Chapter, American Red Cross|
|Volume 7||Record Book 1917-1919|
|List of members, 1918-1919
Financial records, 1917-1919
Comfort kit, 1917-1918
Financial records, Utica Chapter, 1917-1919
Financial records, Knitting Auxiliary, 1917-1919
Financial records, War Fund, 1918
|History by William H. Brown 1898 23 pp.|
|History of the Latest Fifty Years, 1898-1948, by Willard B. Marsh 1948 10 pp.|
|Two clippings regarding the 150th anniversary of the church 1948|
|Church bulletin for the 100th anniversary of the church 1898|
|Photograph of the church building and parsonage|