Computer workstations in all library buildings offer the campus desktop, which includes Window-Eyes, Read & Write Gold, and Microsoft Accessibility Software. Library machines also have JAWS.
Joel and Barbara Zelnick Assistive Technology Room 123
This first floor room, located near the Waverly Avenue entrance, has three computer workstations and a station for the DaVinci Pro camera. Here are the features of the software and equipment in this room.
Kurzweil 3000 Learnstation software
- ABBYY FineReader OCR
- Multiple voice options
- Highlights text and reads words aloud
- Image reader, spell check
- Video tour of k3000.
- Scans and speaks text aloud with a choice of natural-sounding voices
- Supports document creation and editing
- Supports note taking, summarizing and outlining of text
- Includes 18 bilingual dictionaries
- More suggestions for use from Kurzweil.
PEARL Portable Reading Camera (check out at Circulation desk)
- Users must check out the PEARL from the 1st floor Circulation desk and bring it to room 123 where it can be plugged into the USB port at the second workstation on the right (already preloaded with OpenBook scanning and reading software).
- Scans 20 pages per minute while reading
- Has built-in LED lighting for dim settings
- Allows adding of comments and highlighting
- Export to Word or Notepad
- Options for fonts, colors, voice, and reading rate
- Will snap an image and begin reading again whenever a page is turned
- If help is needed with set up, please tell the Circulation desk or just call Helpline at 315.416.7047.
DaVinci Pro HD/OCR (Enhanced Vision)
- Auto focus camera for self-viewing, reading or distance viewing
- Magnification up to 77x
- 24” high resolution HD LCD monitor
- 28 viewing modes to optimize contrast and brightness
- Full page OCR, users can just listen or follow along as it reads aloud
- User tips and instruction video from Enhanced Vision
LOC talking books cassette player
- For older specially-formatted talking book cassettes.
The Loaner Technology page lists all the technology items available for loan from the 1st floor Circulation Desk in Bird Library.
Items include equipment such as portable PEARL scanner, laptops, cables, adapters, cameras, speech recognition accessories, a Logitech TrackMan mouse (also available at Carnegie Library), voice recorders, JAWS dongles, a MAGic dongle, and headphones.