This digitization project was supported by Regional Bibliographic Databases and Interlibrary Resources Sharing Program funds, awarded by the New York State Library.
Images scanned by Department of Information Systems and Peter Verheyen
Text encoded by Peter Verheyen
First edition, 1997.
Department of Special Collections
Syracuse University Library
© This work is the property of the Syracuse University Library. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching and personal use as long as this statement of availability is included in the text.
2000 - 03 - 28
Peter D. Verheyen, Project Manager
Enhancement of document header
1997 - 12 - 18
Peter D. Verheyen, Project Manager
Completion of inventory and encoding process.
Scanning and image conversion by Peter D. Verheyen and Department of Information Systems staff.
A Finding Aid to Selected Images
These photographs are protected by U.S. Copyright and reproduction
of any image presented in this collection requires the written permission
Oneida Community Mansion House
170 Kenwood Ave.
Oneida, NY 13421
"This was taken on June 25, 1863. On left is seen the roof of old
Francis House (also called "The White House"). On right is concrete
building, Greenhouse and a bit of the old "Tool" House. Taken
from top of old Livery Barn"
"On seat: E. H. Hamilton, Mary Prindle. Leaning against post: H.
"Taken from the North Tower. It shows the butternut tree, a triangular
grass-plot, a lamp-post, a group of cedars, and a circular roadway."
"A School room on lower floor of wing. Childrens House was built
in 1849. Wing was added about 1857 or '58"
"Charles Ellis - builder. Mr. Ellis was an Englishman accustomed to thatching."
"Showing the North Tower, 40 feet high. The North Tower was the highest structure in the world to most of us. A stairway and trap-door led from the fourth floor room to the top."-Gertrude H. Noyes.
"South end of old Mansion House - Bath Hose on left. Albert Kinsley in center, Mr. Underwood, W. H. Woolworth. 1st floor dining room; 2nd floor meeting room. Sunday services where neighbors were welcome and also used for theatricals. 3d floor south end was used for a tailor shop, making cloth mittens, etc. out of old clothes as well as mens and boys suits. Mrs. Cornelius Higgins in charge until Mr. O. L. Aikan came. Attic was tent-room sleeping quarters. Annie Kelly joined March 20, 1865, house demolished 1870, hence picture between those dates.
"About 1857 fruit canning was started in the lower floor of the main building. The upper floor contained two large bedrooms and a schoolroom for advanced studies. Originally this building was built for tools (farming and garden) and the upper floor drying seedcorn, peas, beans, etc. The extension was in two parts-the first for making both hard and soft soap and wood-ash lye. The 2nd section was a pig pen with large yard on north side."
"The main part of this building became the family dining room and the back was the kitchen. Called the "Tontine" … a Boston hotel of that name.
"J. H. Noyes, Jonathan Burt."
Below: "Jonathan Burt, William Kelly, Harriet Worden. Above: Charlotte
Leonard, John Hutchins?" Note that there was originally no balcony.
"This case was filled with curios - old coins, rare autographs,
Chinese books, the jaw bone of a mastodon, etc. - a never-ending source
of joy to children. At the left, door into Aunt Julie Ackley's room."
"This building was originally the Horse Barn across the road and
directly in front of the Mansion. The Cow Barn was where Girard Wayland-Smiths
house now stands. What is now the Arcade or Office building was built for
a Cow Barn. At this time were made many changes - The horses were moved
to Old Cow Barn and the abandoned Horse Barn was fitted for a Store on
ground floor of main building, the South wing for the Business Office,
the North wing for a Tailor shop, Shoe shop, Post-office, etc. with sleeping
rooms above, many changes following later."
"Old Reservoir removed. Before New House was built. Tulip tree
planted in 1852."
"J. H. Noyes on South porch in white coat."
"Corner of Playhouse 'Crooked Stump.' Where all children loved
From left: " 'Concrete' [and] Unfinished 'New House' "
" 'Crooked stump.' Cedar tree where children climbed."
"Note rustic furniture"
"Note that the station name is Oneida Community."
"… built in 1832 … became the home of the Wallingford community from 1851 to 1877."
"John H. Noyes & C. M. Leonard."
"New Mansion building, 1876."
"Members slept in the upper rooms (being much cramped for space in Wallingford Com.)"
"Note Mr. E. H. Hamilton and other Community members and how much "child labor" appears."
"... which after many vicissitudes became the first "Sales Office."
"In this charming old English house at Niagara Falls, Ontario, Mr. Noyes spent the last years of his life, from the break-up of the Community in 1879 until his death, April 13, 1886. A loyal family surrounded him - Mother Noyes (H. A. Noyes), H. H. Skinner, Miss Jane Kinsley, Mrs. Ellen Miller, Miss Chloe Seymour, Mr. Herrick, Mr. Seymour, and a group of young people in their early teens, Humphrey, Pierpont, Holton, George, and Gertrude. The work of the house and barn and garden was divided among the members of the family. Open house was the rule and there was a constant flow of visitors from Oneida and from Community families living across the river. The long dining-room table usually seated a dozen or fifteen people. A meeting was held every Sunday afternoon with thirty or forty persons present, when Mr. Noyes usually talked, and often home-made wine and cake was passed. After Mr. Noyes' death, the Stone Cottage was rented to various families for some years, among them Pierpont Noyes, and Deming Smith, and finally was sold to the Oneida Community, Ltd. for a Canadian silver ware factory in 1890? In 1925 it was torn down and a fine modern factory built on its site."