Finding Aids
printer friendly version

Bank of Newburgh (N.Y.) Records

An inventory of its records at Syracuse University

Overview of the Collection

Creator: Bank of Newburgh (Newburgh, N.Y.)
Title: Bank of Newburgh (N.Y.) Records
Inclusive Dates: 1812-1836
Quantity: 1 folder (SC)
Abstract: Checks, promissory notes and correspondence from the Bank of Newburgh located in Newburgh, New York.
Language: English
Repository: Special Collections Research Center,
Syracuse University Libraries
222 Waverly Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13244-2010
http://scrc.syr.edu

Biographical History

The village of Newburgh, New York was incorporated in 1800. Located on the Hudson and offering easy access to west, northwest, and southwest, the river town grew rapidly and became a major hub of commerce in during the mid to late 19th century. Ships from Newburgh traded internationally, steamboats stopped on the route between Albany and Manhattan, turnpike roads brought yet more trade, and many manufacturing businesses located in Newburgh to take advantage of the transportation network.

To support this thriving trade, Newburgh had five local banks before the Civil War; the first was the Bank of Newburgh, chartered in March of 1811, and for 23 years it remained the only banking institution in the district. The bank expanded quickly to meet the financial needs of a growing commercial population, opening a branch in Ithaca in 1818 which operated for twelve years. So successful was the Bank in making loans "to the westward" that it soon began sending its cashiers and two directors west on business trips to make loans, effect exchanges, and transact other business. Banks at this time were permitted to print their own money, and the designs for the Bank of Newburgh bills included "views of romantic scenery between this place and West Point."

In 1935 the name was changed to the National Bank of Newburgh. In 1959 it merged with County National Bank, in 1970 with Empire National Bank, and in 1983 with Bank of New York.

[Prepared with the assistance of Heather Henricksen-Georghiou of the Newburgh Free Library.]

Return to top

Scope and Contents of the Collection

The Bank of Newburgh (N.Y.) Records consist of checks, promissory notes, and correspondence, arranged chronologically.

Return to top

Restrictions

Access Restrictions

The majority of our archival and manuscript collections are housed offsite and require advanced notice for retrieval. Researchers are encouraged to contact us in advance concerning the collection material they wish to access for their research.

Use Restrictions

Written permission must be obtained from SCRC and all relevant rights holders before publishing quotations, excerpts or images from any materials in this collection.

Return to top

Subject Headings

Corporate Bodies

Bank of Newburgh (Newburgh, N.Y.)

Subjects

Banks and banking, New York (State), 19th century.

Places

Newburgh (N.Y.), History

Genres and Forms

Checks (bank checks)
Correspondence.
Promissory notes.

Occupations

Bankers.

Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Preferred citation for this material is as follows:

Bank of Newburgh (N.Y.) Records,
Special Collections Research Center,
Syracuse University Libraries

Acquisition Information

Transferred from Argosy I, 6/20/1969.

Finding Aid Information

Created by: MRC
Date: 19 Jul 2007
Revision history: 14 Aug 2007 - Bank history updated (MRC)

Return to top

Inventory

Checks
SC 197 Miscellaneous 1812, 1814 (2 items)
Promissory notes
SC 197 Miscellaneous 1813 (2 items)
Correspondence
SC 197 Miscellaneous 1813-1814, 1817, 1819, 1822-1823, 1825, 1834, undated

Return to top